Friday, March 2, 2012

Reflections on Lent: Sacrificing Surrounding Scenerie

For those of you that know me personally, you know I left part of my heart back in Malawi in 2008. 
My Malawi Sisters

Mawali is a very small country in southeast Africa around Tanzania, Zambia, and Mozambique. It's mainly known for it's lake - Lake Malawi - which is the only body of water naturally containing kampoyo (fish). What is not as well known is the fact that though it is the 16th poorest country in the world, it is the "heart of Africa". They truly gave me more than I could have ever given back, but I will continue to try every way I can.



No matter their hospitality though, Malawi suffers from major issues of health, poverty, and education. The villages are living as they have for years even though the capital Lilongwe has most of the "modern" niceties like running water, wireless internet, and cell phones. All the homes have gates, most with barbed-wire on top. Many of the house also have locked doors throughout the house. Because of high unemployment, young people and teenagers often entertain themselves with underage drinking, partying, and all the other typical ways people that ways people this age tend to...

Enter Kumbukani - a trainer for peer educators in a joint UN program that Girl Up supports. After dropping out of primary school to have a baby, she not only returned to graduate from both primary and secondary but is on her way to going to college. She is a picture of strength and tenacity -- a picture of hope for the future.

Please read her story here and join me in prayer for this beautiful country and its people.

No comments:

Post a Comment