Monday, March 12, 2012

Reflections on Lent: Sacrifice What Describes You

Words are the way we express our selves. The way we give life to our ideas. The way we describe the desires of our hearts. Words like:

Honesty.          Hope.         Cheerful.           Positive.          Driven.              Welcoming.

What are the words those you love use to describe you? When I think of those questions, I hope they're ones like the ones listed above. But if I'm honest, they could very easily use words like:

Impatient.                  Controlling.                    Drama Queen.                    Tactless.

as well. How does that make me feel....?


In His word, my Father also describes me in many ways:

Beautiful.                                            Ungrateful.                                       Dependent
          Compassionate.                                       Stiff-necked. 
            Loving.                                                     Untrusting.
                Faithless.                                                                         Faithful.

It's my choice and yet it's so not. 

During this Easter season, I am reminded over and over again, it's not about what I do but what He did. It is not about me earning but about what He gave, as in past tense, as in already done.


So what's a girl left to do but give it back to Him

Join me this week as I seek to know my Father a little big more by loving His creation, His people, and His world in new and different ways. By investing myself in the present. By engaging those who I spend my days with on the train, in the office, on my walks home, at the gym. All these things are good, they are blessings. Not because I earned them but because He has given them to me.

So even as I miss my morning coffee, I have a wide variety of teas to now be thankful for too (or at least I keep trying to tell myself that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment