Monday, February 13, 2012

Week 6: Humility

Titus 2:7 & 3:2 "...In your teaching [work] show integrity, seriousness, and soundness
of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you [or God] may 
be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about you...Remind the
people to be subject to rules and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do 
whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, 
and show humility to all men."

I saw the best thing in the world today - a God siting if you will (oh and i will :))

Two brothers sliding down the escalator railing and riding it back up.

Now give you, many adults were scowling and the boys were aware, but instead of giving up their fun, they waited and rode until they passed and then start in on their fun again.

Now I tell you it was a God siting because today I had to go down to go back up, except my down wasn't near as much fun and a whole lot faster. Let me start at the beginning...

Lately, I've been struggling at work, and when I say lately I mean for several months...Being my first grown up job, I not only had to get used to the fact that all is not fun and games but that it wasn't going away at the end of the semester. Since Christmas, I've tried to grin and bear it, looking and waiting for my escape. That's when I heard the voice in my heart saying "nope." That's when I knew I wasn't going to get the easy way out this time.

Since these revelations though, it's gotten even rockier. The little sunshine in my day where covered in clouds even if just the simple fact that my sassy friend wasn't there to grace my day. And it all came to a boil today - YES TODAY. After some increasing pressure put on my boss's was pasted on to me from the time I left work yesterday until about noon today - madness I tell you. Crazy emails flying. No one listening to the other. Everyone trying to get done and get out. However, as in most situations like that the furry only adds food to the fire and we ended up in more trouble than when we began. Finally chaos settled down as we each got cracking on different things and the rest of the day went by smoothly and not quite as eventful.

Now back to the beginning, in my new found sense of "destiny" at my job, I've started a new prayer - may I have a servant posture, may I see the good and not the bad, may I seek to learn from everyone around me. In fact, as I prayed walking up the stairs to my office, I found myself praying, "Lord, teach me to be humble."

...Yah...

As soon as those words were out of my mouth, I knew. I knew I was cooked. You see it's "teach me to be humble" is one of the prayers like "teach me patience"...and we all know how those turn out!

As I left the office 10 hours later and trudge on through the rainy snow to my laundry and ironing, it hit me. I was humbled today. God showed up and answered my prayers. I had both been given criticism but also help to work through it.

I have been reminded over and over again lately to be faithful in the little things and now I realize that's not just spiritual. I'm not just supposed to be faithful in reading the Word and praying, in serving and in worship, but in every aspect in my life - my laundry, my hygiene, and my work -- dotting the i's, crossing the t's, and all the other little letters and punctuation marks in between.

So as I emerged from my underground ride and saw the brothers going up and down, I realized that was the journey of my day as well.

"The Lord lifts up all those who are downtrodden" - Ps 147:6

No comments:

Post a Comment