Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lord to hear my prayers

"Even in fasting, we have the choice."

Something seems disingenuous to "fast for solidarity" with the poor or against human trafficking -- we can never know their experience and no day or hour or meal without food will have the ability to teach us that. 

Today is my first fast in solidarity to the poor and on the walk to the train, I realized just how silly this felt. Not the act of fasting or the idea of lifting up the poor; but the idea that somehow I am can choose to be in solidarity with the poor by simply overlooking the food in my fridge, in my cubicle, in the grocery story next door, or in my friend's hands. Nothing I do or do not eat or do can every place me in their position, I will never know their experience because I have the ability to choose.

Pray with me today for those who have no choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment