Monday, February 27, 2012

Reflections on Lent: I am the cup bearer of the King

"Lord, let your ears be attentive to the prayers of this your servant 
and the prayers of your servants who delight in revering your name. 
Give your servant success today by granting him favor the presence of this man.
I am the cup-bearer of the King."
                                                                                                                                  -Nehemiah 1:11

and make me successful today so that I get what I want from the king... (Easy-to-Read Translation)

If I pray this prayer today, what would my day look like? Mark Batterson, pastor of National Community Church where I attend, often challenges us this year with this phrase - simple. short. succinct. 

"If we did what they did in the Bible would we experience what they did in the Bible."

BUT OH...what if we truly did. During this Lenten season, I've been memorizing Scripture more intentionally on my walk to the train. Last week I largely memorized promises of His favor on us. This week, I've decided to focus almost exclusively on Nehemiah 1:11

I randomly came across it a few weeks ago and his earnest prayer jumped put at me.

Listen to my prayer please.
Give me success TODAY.
Grant me favor.

As I repeated this scripture over and over again, I began to wonder what success would look like in my life today. What would I ask for? Would I simple ask to granted favor from my boss and superiors? If I did, what would this look like? If not, how would I define a successful day - one filled with a gracious spirit, non-complacency, no reprimands? What was I truly asking God by repeating this prayer over and over again in my mind? 

Simple earnest pleas. Big requests. – But ones that can and will truly change the course of your day.


I can't answer that but now at least I know my "circle" for the week!

What would it look like for you to have success today? What are you circling in prayer this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment