Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Reflections on Lent: Meaning of Sacrifice

After talking with a mentor about what I felt called to give up this Lenten season, she asked me a very provocative question

"But what are you adding?"


So often, Lent becomes a habit - give up chocolate or alcohol or volunteer more - which are all well and good but when done from a place of habit instead of a spirit of sacrifice, they are just diets or community involvement. This blog really tripped me out


 Why Lent is Crazy
So what am I sacrificing? 

DIETARY INDULGENCES 

What am I adding? 

KNOWLEDGE

What I read both in books and blogs will focus around stretching my ideas about meanings - meaning of Lent, Christianity, social justice, etc.

So go ahead. 
                Read the blog. 
                                  Think about the message. 
                                              Take a second to listen.                              
                                                                        And then act!

No comments:

Post a Comment