Monday, January 16, 2012

Week 2 - Birthday Reflections

I'm the person who tends to make big deals out of small things -- for good or bad. So....BIRTHDAYS are kind of a big deal in my book. I love celebrating that day with someone! And yes, because it's a testimony of a what the Lord has done over the past year, a day to reflect on His blessings; but also because it's JUST FUN!



...the conflict comes with my birthday....do I "make" others celebrate or not mention it and let it slide...

This was a conflict I was dealing with the week leading up to my birthday. Last year's birthday was definitely the beginning of a long road of grace and recovery - of God pursuing me and me pursuing God. However, that amazing year of growth did not come without its growing pains. Approaching my birthday, I realized just how tired I was - tired of fighting with myself, tired of thinking, tired of being tired! My mom gave me a verse that week from Matthew 11:

 28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  
29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, 
and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

What an incredible word of encouragement that has been!


Right now my church is doing a 21 Day Prayer Challenge along with our senior pastor Mark Batterson's new book, "The CircleMaker". I personally have decided to fast from commitments - sounds funny now that I read what I wrote but let me explain. I am someone who gets excited by just about everything and jumps in before thinking through what that would mean, if I have time, etc. So basically, I'm spending the month networking, researching, and praying through what areas God would have me invest in this year whether that's for entertainment (sports leagues), service (youth work or church leadership), or processional (such as volunteer with an organization). Some things on my "plate" is volunteering with a youth group, being a CASA through the courts, helping a non-profit write grants, running groups/sport leagues, social club, who to run my marathon for, and ways to commit to A21 Campaign (http://www.thea21campaign.org/21-ways-to-help.php)


Things I realized over the past week:
- Really I'm just a girl trying to figure out this thing called being a grown up and that's okay.

- Everyday I pray I have the faith to hold onto the praise that He has good plans for me and trust! - striving to leave it in His Hands
- My prayers need only be for Him to teach me how to pray and leave the rest to Him.
- AND THEN I NEED TO BE READY! Because HE WILL show me "where my deepest passion meets the world greatest need"...
....and it's going to be a crazy ride to get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment