Sunday, January 8, 2012

Week 1 - Mission Possible

So I did it....I went to Mission Impossible 4...
(I know - groans and moans gulor but I actually liked it -- please hold you hissing or from throwing eggs!) 


It struck a very different chord than the others ones. Maybe it was my mood, my life circumstances, or maybe just a brain that hasn't been worked in too long, but I found myself thinking about a lot more than the funny way Tom Cruise runs (...a fact I somehow negated to note until now...watch it -- you'll be entertained! :)). I thought about how real the movie was minus the dramatic effects and cheesy predictable ending. The fact that there are spies out there and there are people out there trying to hurt the world. There is big evils and there is real danger.
Then I got theological (..and probably a little too deep for a Tom Cruise movie...) and thought about my life. What was I giving up? What was I doing to help make the world a safer, a better place? In all reality, we are like God's spies and warriors on earth waging a heavenly war. The Bible specifically uses war illustrations when talking about living daily lives and saving souls for Christ. We are soldiers, we are spies, we are on a mission - if we so choose to accept.
 
Anyone who has seen the movie can relate to the silly love for goofy bumbling Bunji...but I couldn't help but think to myself....
"Wow!...I'm him..."

...here he was complaining about not being able to sleep after a mission where he was never in grave danger or taking life risks and complaining about not sleeping to people who had been shot, car wrecked, and many of the other audacity stunts pulled in the movie. How much as I complaining about my life and daily battles to my "team mates" who have endured loss of loved ones, unemployment, and many other big hard REAL issues. How was my piddly little dream to help children helping save the world especially give there are so many children not in the country that need help.

Over the past year, I've had the privilege of knowing and being friends with many people who's lives are intricately involved with military life. I have personally heard and seen the toll it takes, sacrifices made by both family, friends, and those who so strongly go out an serve. I couldn't help but think of their lives considering all that they give up to follow the calling to serve. These were the real heroes doing all they can to serve, not me sitting at my desk discussion website design

I guess the conclusion I came to was the only solace I could have was that with God this mission was possible and, just like in the movie, the mission could not have succeeded without all the team members pitching in with their individual skills sets. So the mission I choose to accept is the one given to me by God - information is usually need-to-know and acceptance means action.(that and everyone does always have a soft spot for the poor befuddled Benjis of this world :))

This week, I've been easing into being back into work and routine. Away from holiday sweets and back into healthy eats. Going to bed and getting up. Catching up on the real life things like housework, bills, and laundry. At church, they announced a 21 day prayer campaign based on our pastor Mark Batterson’s book Circlemaker. I was both challenged and convicted to look into what that prayer challenge was going to be about for me. What I came to was that was it - praying to know what to pray about. 

This week was about trying things; this month is about praying through decisions 

Time for pursuing passions with a purpose.
 
It’s time to get intentional, get steady (que music....!!!!!!!!) 


No comments:

Post a Comment