Thursday, November 10, 2011

Picture this...

...little boys...
If you're like me you have a pictures of adorably ornery little boys in your life, like me and my nephews affectionately know as "Runt" and "Squirt" by my brother-in-law!

Being here in DC, I miss them like CrAzY?!?! 


(I'd be crazy not to...right??? - go look at the picture again if you REALLY think I'm being biased...seriously...go look...i mean come on really???) 

Because of this, I have developed the habit to become instantly aware of all the little boys that inhabit my surroundings like exiting the Union Station Metro Station a couple nights ago. And then I realized...I just had a God-sighting! Here's the story:

As normal, I was finishing my page as I walked out of my train and heading to the escalator. And as usual, there was a extra long line because the escalator was not moving again. However, the line suddenly stopped on the left side (...anyone who lives in DC knows you NEVER stop in the left side...that's what the right side is for...). I looked up to see what was causing the hold up when I say a little boy pop over his mom's shoulder. Except this wasn't a grinning merry child (though still ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE chubby round face :)). No, it was quite apparent that this little boy was not happy about not being able to go up the stairs his way, by himself. Immediately, my heart was warmed and prayers sent up for his parents since I have a huge soft spot for parents with children acting up in public. As I walked up the stairs and out the turn-style it hit me,
that scene is a picture of me and God over the past month...
...I AM THAT CHILD! 
(okay so unlike me, he still ends up being absolutely adorable even with the pout)

Think about it, how often do you fight the Lord, His supporting arms, and HIS help and guidance in our life. I've ask for Him to direct my relationships and yet, I keep trying to put my hands in it -- all the while EXTREMELY unhappy about the way its turning out!
       Oh, I don't doubt that everything I do is only by and through HIS strength, that His will is supreme, and good and the best...
...BUT...
what do my actions say...??

I'm afraid I'm more often like this little boy. I pray for His guidance, and I ask for His strength, but I do it all in effort to make my own plans prosper. I want to be able to do His will MY way or well, I'm hitting the highway...

...Ask me how often THAT'S worked...

Rather, I should rest in the arms of the Father who is trying to make my way easy "and my burden light". Instead of having to stand on my tip toes, to walk up endless flights of stairs, to bump into things, probably trip on a step or two, and be sweaty, weary, and tired by the time I reach the top; I could just rest in the arms of my Father as He moves. I would get His perspective, His strength, and His presence through the whole process - three things that make even the darkest tunnel bearable.

How often do I frustrate my Father by flailing around, squirming to get free, and fussing all the way? Thankfully, just like this tired mom, God doesn't put me down - He does what's best for me and for the rest of the world. He keeps moving on His way.

Contrast that with the picture of the peaceful trusting child Dick Foth talks about in his sermon "Our Father (Hallowed Part 1)." In talking about why Jesus would choose to open the "Lord's Prayer" with "Our Father..." - a highly controversial and illogical move in the Jewish context, -  Pastor Foth tells the stories of his daughter as a child. Both illustrate the child like trust we so often show as children in our earthly fathers. Both illustrate the heart of an earthly father. He goes on to say if we as children can trust our earthly fathers in this way then HOW MUCH MORE can we and SHOULD we trust our heavenly Father?!  I know that not all of us have great amazing fathers here on earthy, but think of the ideal dad and what he'd be like -- GOD IS BETTER! He ends with saying the words of his daughter that inspired him not matter how tired or wore or angry or frazzled he felt - "Up Daddy". 

So, will you say "Up Daddy" or will you try and squirm out of the arms of your heavenly Father the next time you seek his guidance in you life....

I choose "Up Daddy"....!


1 comment: