Monday, May 21, 2012

Week Whatever: Genesis 3

 

Have you ever read Genisis 3: The Account of The Curse?

I mean really read it.

Not with the tired eyes of a 26 year old Christian looking through the
lenses of the stories and memory verses over the past 25 years.

 But with young baby eyes of a 25 year old through the lenses of the grace and faith?

Still yes?
Okay then, riddle me this: Who did God rebuke first?

Now stop right there!


Stop before you say the woman (...because then you'd be wrong...) 

Stop before your mind jumps to the hundreds of fights about who sinned first or worst, over male pride and female's grasping dominion. From disputes over implications for dating and marriage and family or from the theological meaning of the clothes that were to come.

Just stop and quiet your thoughts and read with me Genesis 3:


Did you catch that?

Did you hear what I heard? Was it not Satan that was condemned first? Did you not hear the agnst behind his voice when Adam and Eve failed to greet Him as usual; the urgency in our Father's voice when he said "who told you that?"
Oh yes you say, but He already knew.

He knew from the begin they'd fall and off we go with debates about free will, God's divine plan, what time means to on omnipotent God and various other discussions the church has had over this passage.

But again, I urge you. Read with me. Quiet your mind.

Maybe it's just me...

                 ...Maybe it's just the season of anxiousness and disappointment I'm in.

A season where God keeps showing up and providing andi keep walking by, missing the gifts of the father like the rain on my window that woke me up this morning.

No, my first thought was now how am I supposed to start my running boot camp?!

...Okay let's be honest...

My actual first thought was to look to see if it was raining so I had an excuse to ignore my alarm...which in turn leads to the self-loathing thoughts mentioned above.

Oh, I got up. And did my devotions both planning a different schedule and reminding myself how I never actually run when I plan to after work. I look at myself in the mirror as I apply my make up and hate my body just a little bit more when I have to suck in to clasp my skirt. And then I grudgingly walk to the train in the stinking rain and stand with wet feet and a heavy bag when there isn't an empty seat.


But then I sit.

And I open my iPad (which I fail to be ecstatic to own) and start reading Genesis to catch up on my failed attempted to follow my read-through-the Bible-in-a-year guide.

And then I heard it.

I heard the anxiousness of my Father searching for me.

I hear His heart break when I make excuses and blame the people He's given me to encourage and support.

I hear Him curse with anger at the Serpeant who would dare to harm me.

And lastly I hear the consequences of my sin and am banded from my home so as to save me from myself.


All the theological debates fall away and I'm left with the knowledge that my Lord loves me despite my failures, that He loves me through my failures, and that His love acts to save me from my failures.

I hear the rain on my window, the invitation from God to start a new day with a fresh start, a day to do better, to be better - not because I can or should - but because I desire the heart of my Father.

What do you hear?

I hear the rain that washes away my yesterdays and promises a fresh start soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment