Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Reflections on Lent: Seeking


What is a true characteristic of the Cristian life in the Bible? - seeking the Lord

Just look at the heroes of faith in Hebrews 11:
Enoch - didn't experience death because he was credited with true faith and having sought the Lord
Moses - sought the Lord constantly in how to lead the Israelites
Samuel - sought the Lord the middle of the night
David - man after God's own heart

Over and over again, our heroes of faith are described to have sought the Lord, cry out to the Lord showing the seeking, and command others toe seek the Lord.

But as with much I the Christian faith, they leave out a very critical point...

...How in the WORLD do you seek His face?

This week acts:s calls us to share our stories, our hearts, and our passions so here's a glimpse into mine. Right now i really need the ABC steps to know that's am seeking the Lord so I can get that blessing that's promised? This is constantly my thought. Over the last several. On the, this is the only message I seem to be getting is

God: Seek me. Be faithful in the small. Seek me.

My Response: Great. Awesome I'll do that but how?
God: Seek me. Seek me.
Me: Okay I'll just try I guess
God: Seek me. Be faithful in the small. Seek me.
Me: I thought I was?
God: Seek me. Be faithful in the small. Seek me.
Me: oh good ghandi! How can I be failing just this bad?!
God: Seek me. Be faithful in the small. Seek me.
(...think I can be a little Type A?!)

Over the last two weeks, I've hit that wall of I hunger for God and I feel like I have so much to say but am blocked. I feel cut off from him and don't know why or how to get back. Rad my billed and what spoke to me now lays silent in my lap. I try to pray but my thoughts wonder and I don't know how to address the big gap my should feels.

And still the still quiet voice whispers: Seek me. Be faithful in the small. Seek me. Just seek me.

Morning devotions was a psalm shared last night in small group: Psalm 27. Here's a portion
 
 1 The LORD is my light and my salvation—
   whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
   of whom shall I be afraid?
 4 One thing I ask from the LORD,
   this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
   all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of the LORD
   and to seek him in his temple.
5 For in the day of trouble
   he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent
   and set me high upon a rock.
 7 Hear my voice when I call, LORD;
   be merciful to me and answer me.
8 My heart says of you, “Seek his face!”
   Your face, LORD, I will seek.
9 Do not hide your face from me,
   do not turn your servant away in anger;
   you have been my helper.
Do not reject me or forsake me,
   God my Savior.
 Did you catch that???

 7 Hear my voice when I call, LORD;
   be merciful to me and answer me.
8 My heart says of you, “Seek his face!”
   Your face, LORD, I will seek.
9 Do not hide your face from me,
   do not turn your servant away in anger;
   you have been my helper.
Do not reject me or forsake me,
   God my Savior. 

Me: So David felt like me? So I'm not alone? So I'm not failing?! So here's my prayer:
God: No my child.  
14 Wait for the LORD;
   be strong and take heart
   and wait for the LORD.


So here's my prayer for today and each moment

Father, we are truly thankful for the life of Jesus, our brother and King. In every way He came to show us how to live--how to celebrate, how to obey, how to lean into You, how to raise the spirits of others, and how to lay our life down to glorify You.  His heart was deeply rooted in You, and the rewards of His faithful obedience have covered all past and future generations. Take us to the root too. Bring us to the source of what is so hard to face. Help us accept our own humanity, our own faults and fears. Help us face what we want to avoid. Help us be honest with ourselves and others. Help us not to hide from the truth and help us keep moving forward even though it may hurt. Show us what we are to take on, be with us as we move through obstacles, pitfalls, and triumphant finishes. May our lives celebrate and honor You in our greatest ability. Amen.
-Chris Seay, A Place at the Table




No comments:

Post a Comment