Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Grace in Boots


We slip into believing that it's better to strive for perfection 
than to accept and offer one another grace. 
Bittersweet by Shauna Neiquist



I did it today...I made a huge fashion-fopah...
 I wore Ugg boots (okay okay Sears knock-offs)...
...with my pants tucked into them.. 
...in the middle of APRIL!!

Okay, so for all of you Midwest and (more) Northerners, this is not a rare thing. But in warmer climates like DC, well lets just say I also have a sunburn from reading outside Saturday...

But please, let me explain!


So after the 80s this weekend, DC's weather must of hit that time of month because it suddenly went from warm and blissful to frigid and cold. It was 80s on Saturday morning and 40s Monday at noon...

Also, you should know I walk a good pace before getting on to the Metro to get to work, .7 of a mile to be precise.

Lastly, I hate when my pants drag on the ground. I have even been known to tuck them into my shoes during dire straights!

So what was I to do with my cold feet, long pants, and long walk ahead of me??

Solution: Ugg boots! - I could keep my feet warm and comfy and pant pants dry and clean while not killing my back as I walked. PERFECT

Except...I am like every other all-American girl who doesn't really follow 
fashion but would like to think she has style...

So here I am, embarrassed at the way I look as I pass girls with bare legs, flats, or no coast on and me with my pants tucked into my boots.

AND THEN,
I realized something....

I AM NOT THAT COOL

That's right - I, Jennifer M Van Ee - admit that I am not the most important thing or more interesting person to look at on the planet. In fact, if I were not a giant, you may not even notice me on the street if you passed me.

Wow - talk about blow to the ego!

 

 But then again, not really. It was kind of releasing. As in "Hey Jen, the world won't fall apart if you're not there." Or "Wait a second, you spelled you name wrong again?!?!?! You are fired - JUST KIDDING!" Or "5 seconds late to church? Not here, you're right on time!"

 But it's true! All that awkwardness I felt was completely my mind. As I walked off the Metro and towards the elevators, hardly a person even glanced at me, much less my feet. 

So next time you see a girl where Uggs in the middle of April, smile at her as you pass.

But whatever you do, DO NOT LOOK AT HER FEET!

No comments:

Post a Comment