Sunday, July 29, 2012

Inspiration


Now that it's officially halfway through my marathon training and fundraising, I thought it was time to give an update! Yesterday I officially ran half the distance of the marathon (!!) so we're right on track (...even if a little slow.) 



But do you know what keeps me going on those long runs??

The stories and words from the girls in the Girls in the Game programs. This is the email I received this week:





Dear Charity Race Team,


Since you’ve all committed to helping Chicago girls lead healthy lives by supporting Girls in the Game, I thought you might like to hear from the girls who participate in our programs. This week, I spoke with our Youth Triathlon Team. Our team of 15 girls ages 7 -14 have been learning and training together all summer. They are getting ready to compete in the South Shore Triathlon at 63rd Street Beach this Saturday, July 28th. I told them about you and explained that you’re training for your own race and raising money to support Girls in the Game. I asked some of the girls if they had any advice for you as you train to accomplish your athletic goals. Their responses are below: 


“Stay committed. Just keep at it and tell yourself you can do it, that makes it easier.” Simone, 13 


“Do your best and never give up.” Denise, 8 


“Don’t stop. Take your time and slow down if you need to. Breaks are ok but keep going after. Pace yourself.” Joslin, 11 


“Stay motivated and keep your goal in mind. When I want to stop I make a small goal. Like just go until the tree ahead or something like that and then when you get there, make a new goal,” Nakia, 10


“Eat good food. I’m going to have pancakes and bananas. Fruit is good to eat before racing” Elyse, 8


“Never give up. That’s what my Mom always says and it sticks in my head when I’m running and then I can go faster.” Carmen, 


I hope the girls’ advice makes your smile and helps make your training this week a little bit easier.


Again I am inspired. 
Again I am challenged. 
Again I feel that Burden for Change!! 


So save up that change to create change in girls lives! 


 For more information about the programs, go to: www.girlsinthegame.org 
And to contribute to my "Burden for Change" campaign, click on my fundraising page.      

No comments:

Post a Comment